Thursday, August 27, 2015

Wow ... WOW!!! -- I want to do it again!!!

The second half of my first backpacking outing turned out to be even more incredible than the first half.  "Glorious" is about the only word that I can think of that even approximates the right mix of beautiful, awesome, mystical, spectacular, mind-blowing, peaceful, wondrous, etc.

Here are just a few of the photos from those days....
Majestic Mountain with Mystical Moose in Meadow (between the trees lower right corner)

Lake Nanita with Ptarmigan Mountain behind it....  It's like a fantasy landscape except it actually exists!

A view from the North Inlet Trail

A view from Flattop Mountain near Ptarmigan Point

As pleased as I am with the photos, they are only capturing the smallest trace of the experience.  On my next time out (starting today, for five more days), I'm also taking a sketch pad and some pencils hoping that even if the sketches are really awful (I'm certainly no artist!) I will nonetheless somehow be able to transmit more of the experience into the image through that manual process than through a photograph.  I'm going to be out in the backcountry again for five days, so, unless I come across an unexpected coverage pocket, I'll be out of touch for a while!

2 comments:

  1. Keep on hiking !! Know how excited you are and can't wait to see those sketches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andre! You are having a Colorado high! And doesn't it feel good. I also would love to see those sketches. It does look like your adventure is working out to be one of your life highlights. Love following your journal. Keep up the good work and take of yourself> don't run into a horny Elk. They will be rutting soon.
    And they are so jealous of their females.... Jim

    ReplyDelete