Thursday, July 9, 2015

The people post

I've been meeting more and more interesting people every day it seems, so here's a post about today as an example of the types of people I encounter pretty much every day.

I already mentioned in my last post the lovely warmshowers.org hosts of yesterday evening, so of course I had a final opportunity to chat with Joy before setting off.

I backtracked a couple of miles to go to the grocery store. On the way to the grocery store I ran into Max and Stephanie from Germany whom I had met a couple of weeks ago way back in eastern North Dakota and we seemed to keep ending up in the same campgrounds. They were on their way today to Circle, MT, which was also my destination, so we arranged to rendezvous there.

I had coffee near the grocery store and a really nice talk about life in general with the coffee shop owner Tonja.



Still in the grocery store parking lot loading up the bike, I talked to another local who bicycled a lot who gave me good tips on my route etc.

About 10 miles down the road this guy Kenny pulls over and asks if I'm on my way to Circle (pretty much the only place I could be en route to on the particular road I was on). Kenny says I should come pitch my tent in his yard and that I should ask the group of cyclists I will meet coming my direction who camped there the night before and they will tell me how nice it is to camp at Kenny's. And sure enough I do see them and ask and they do confirm it was a good place to stay.

When I arrive in Circle, Max and Stephanie have already started setting up camp in the park so I decide to stay there with them rather than go to Kenny's.




Bonus, there is a swimming pool in the park so I got in a swim which was nice on a sunny 90 degree day.

On the way into town, I met four more long-distance bicyclists, two of whom are staying at Kenny's and two of whom are at the local motel tonight. We talked a while mainly about routes.

Once I got to town, I had beer and a chili and cornbread mall at the Round Towne bar. It was delicious, and the bartender had just been yesterday at the exact spot that I will be tomorrow so she was able to give me good information.

While I was in town, or rather in the pool I guess it was, a crazy man came to the campsite and ranted at Max and Stephanie about his taxes LOL (but we are keeping our bear sprays handy in case he comes back later!).

Today was an exceptionally social day and I usually don't meet quite that many people, but since I've usually been writing about the scenery or the weather or whatever, I wanted to give a flavor of the social life of a vagabond in at least one post.

posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments:

  1. Yes, interesting blog about the people you meet, not that I think you wouldn't meet interesting people.Just to let you know we finally have blue sky after 5 days of cold (to me ) and rainy, stormy weather. We'd we went to Denver to see we thought a Rockies baseball game. After a three hour delay, we left. Did get to see the ball field ! Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your venture is getting better and better, Soon you may be dolling out Legal advice. Now knowing your route I am not sure I ever mentioned to you I had a great Uncle Sam D Burstein who moved out of my home town Decatur in early 20"s and had a haberdashery store in Cody and I believe Thermopolis. Wy. I would appreciate you taking a photo in either or both cities if you can for me to share with my family. My Dad went to visit Sam D when he was in her early 20's. Sam D was my Grandpa Ben"s youngest brother. Enjoy the ride. Jim

    ReplyDelete