Monday, August 3, 2015

Too Much to Tell!

My journey back up and over the Bighorns was full of interesting people and places.  First, the big climb to 9,666 feet ... no problem I am happy to report.  I feel ready for the mountains of Colorado!

At the campground where I stayed two nights on the shore of a lovely mountain lake, Lake Meadowlark, I met Meg and John from Vermont, who let me borrow a couple of extra pads they had (since the tent sites were paved with coarse gravel!!) and were fun to talk to in the evenings.  I also met Lee and Carol from Minnesota--Lee had made a similar bicycle adventure several years ago and it was neat to hear his stories.  Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of any of these people.  I also did not get a picture of the moose that I practically bumped into on my way to the toilet one evening--it was really quite scary but, since I did not get attacked, kind of cool in retrospect.

But I did get a picture of Michael, who is a true maniac of a bicycle adventurer!  I met him at the convenience store at the bottom of the mountain today at around 11am.  He had just come up and over the mountain, making his descent on some dirt road that wasn't even on my map, and he was going to bicycle back up the mountain and back down the other side before the day was done....  WOW!!  He said he was a "collector of mountain passes and peaks" on his bicycle and has a website at cyclepass.com.

Here are some scenery pictures from the past couple of days.




Finally, I made another video on the descent this morning--not quite as awesome as the first one, but still a pretty amazing experience!  I'll post a link to that after I have a chance to upload it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andre! WEll I must say you must be in A#1 shape if the altitude is not bothering you! And this is so sounding like the trip of a lifetime with its ups and downs! The scenery looks spectacular! The : roughing it even sounds OK"! The people you are meeting sound fascinating. Even the meals and a hot shower sounds great. I love reading this journal and have a little streak of jealousy and wishing I was doing it! But at 86 it would not be comfortable! Yikes! Your looking fit and keep going with the journal..... JIm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andre, we met a little east of Bismark. I loved talking to you and am glad to see your trip is going well. Wahoo! I am in new York now and should reach my destination on the coast of Maine in a week and a half. Best wishes- Hannah

    ReplyDelete