Sunday, July 12, 2015

Back from the edge of the world

I got more adventure than I bargained for on my detour to see Fort Peck Dam. The marina/campground that I was staying at turned out to be down a seven mile road that included sections of deep, loose gravel; sections of sticky mud they call "gumbo"; and sections of sand. Thank goodness my guardian angel for the weekend Ralyn happened to drive by in her truck and told me to throw my bicycle in the back of her pick-up and she'd give me a ride.



The campground was lovely, however, and worth the difficult access.



The next day, Ralyn gave me a ride up to and tour of the dam itself and the interpretive center, which included a small natural history museum as well. This is the area in which many big dinosaur skeletons have been found.



After that rest day off the bike, I had a tough ride today directly into the strongest and most relentless wind yet. I could see storms passing by me on the right and on the left but I made it without getting rained on at all.


posted from Bloggeroid

6 comments:

  1. Insert funny caption about Andre and the rampaging dinosaur here......................

    I just came in from the pouring down rain and I mean heavy. I had to dredge the drainage ditch in the back yard even more to allow the gush. It's a foot longer and a couple inches deeper now - another extraordinary rain storm here. I thought loose panes in the side windows would bounce out from the thunder.
    thank God for your angel - all our angels. And our hard work as we keep those doggies rolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally deleted one of your other comments to a different post and can't figure out how to undo it. Sorry! I threaded the eye of the needle again with storms yesterday, some passing to my right, some to my left, one passing right over me and raining just at the moment I was hanging out in the only little convenience store for 20 miles in either direction because I had the feeling it might actually rain soon.

      Delete
  2. That photo you posted at 7:13pm tonight looks ominous in the sky. Will be interested in route you post from Boysen State Park south through Wyoming and into Northern Colorado. Rawlins Wy is an interesting town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to work on that southern Wyoming and Colorado route probably this evening.....

      Delete
  3. Andre! Your journal is amazing and exciting! I see you are meeting all kinds of nice people. I am impressed how they all seem to help out one another. My faith in humanity may be restored. The mud stories are also interesting and amazing and a pain in the ass I see. It sounds like misery with the mud and all. I can imagine by now you can take on anything that confronts you>>getting tougher and tougher and lean and mean. I love all your pics of the scenery and some of the people you have met.>>great journal you have going here. Having done some biking I can feel a little bit of what you are going thru...... Keep it going. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, yes, it is kind of amazing how nice and friendly people really are. I think I am getting pretty fit--I'm using the high gears on my bicycle that I remember thinking at the beginning of the trip "Why do they even have those gears on the bike, nobody would ever want to turn the pedals in that high gear!" LOL and now I'm just pedaling away going faster and faster!

      Delete